Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Day 3: We Three Kings by The Roches

It’s Day 3 of the Christmas Music Countdown and boy, have I got a treat for you today: The Roches’ “We Three Kings,” which features an eclectic selection of 22 Christmas standards plus 2 original compositions. A number of the cuts are a cappella, others feature novelty arrangements such as the broadly-Brooklyn version of Winter Wonderland and a Latin-influenced cover of Deck the Halls.

Other cuts feature simple but beautiful accompaniment in a variety of styles. Particular favorites are the beautiful Good King Wenceslas, the title track, and a rousing version of Jingle Bells that cries out for a sleigh and a hot toddy in 1900’s NYC. This is not particularly polished singing, but the voices are pleasant, the pitch is always bang-on, and they have a lot of style.  Different, fun and often moving.


4 comments:

  1. I had forgotten all about this recording! That midwest twang and nasal quality was so wrong and yet so alluring! I loved the harmonies! It reminded me of singing with my brother and sister - not that we had a twang or nasal quality, mind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony - totally agree! They always remind me of singing with my relatives (although most of mine have more trained voices). It's just good fun, and the arrangements are fabulous.

      Delete
  2. The recommendations are much-appreciated. The right music keeps me focused on the meaning of Christmas rather than the fussy little nothings that seem to eat into our time.

    ReplyDelete