Tuesday, December 9, 2014

CMC Day 9: Christmas Island by Jimmy Buffett


I’ll just start by saying that I am not a Parrot Head and there are several cuts on this recording that make me want to bang my own, non-Parrot, head against the wall.  That said, there are others without which my holiday music landscape would be vastly less fun and entertaining.

The cuts I can do without are the totally uninspired reggae renditions of Jingle Bells, a couple of really long original tunes, and the ubiquitous Happy Christmas (War is Over). Snore. Double snore.

The songs I adore and play repeatedly are the title cut (sung with true Hawaiian flair), Mele Kalikimaka (ditto on the flair and with some lovely Hawaiian-Andrews-Sisters-ish backup , a California beach-music-inspired Up on the Housetop (as sung by a stoner surfer dude), and the version of Run Run Rudolph that Chuck Berry would have done if he’d had access to the kind of gear that Buffett’s band obviously rocks. 


Funny. Different.  Listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment